Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Ten Things You'll Find Me Wearing

Welcome, welcome, welcome.  And, yes, I've been noticably missing lately.  Don't be mad.

Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic was too good to pass up.  I read Katie's fun list of things she wears, and it put into perspective how sad my wardrobe really is.  See, she actually leaves the house to teach, and she looks good while doing it.  As a stay-at-home mom now, most days I am here at home with my three kids and not a single non-family member (hopefully) will see me.  It's amazing what you'll allow yourself to get away with when you think nobody's looking.

If, by chance, you happen by my house in the middle of the day, or if you run into me at ballet class, or if you catch me couponing in Publix, there is more than a little chance you will find me wearing the following things--maybe not all at once, but at least several of them in combination.  (And if you're used to seeing me, you can attest to my honesty!)

1. Yoga Pants.  These yoga pants came from Target, and they are from the Liz Lange brand...yes, mommy friends, that's a maternity line.  I still totally rock these and they still fit me really well.  I'll pretend it's because they're cotton and shrunk. 


That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Why do I love these, you ask?  Well, first of all, they are the most comfortable pair of pants EVER.  You can wear them as pajamas.  You can wear them around the house and to run errands.  Should you really wear them to do errands?  Probably not.  But that doesn't stop me.

2. My Old Slippers.  My sister-in-law gave me these about ten years ago, I think, and they're from Old Navy.  They're obviously falling apart, and they stink.  I can't wash them, though, because then that one thread holding them together would lose its hold and they'd be no more.  I just can't handle that, so my husband and children must put up with my ugly, smelly slippers.

I do not wear these out of the house, so just relax.  I do, however, use them when I go check the mail, and I'm sure my neighbors cringe a little each time they see them.

3. Ouchless hairband by Goody.  Since giving birth to my oldest bundle-of-joy five years ago, I have rarely worn my hair in any other way than all pulled up in a knot on my head.  There are multiple reasons for this, including the fact that it's quick and easy and I can put it up wet on the rare occasion that I get a shower.  The main reason, though, is because babies pull hair.  A lot.  And I learned pretty quickly that getting all this hair out of the way is the best way to prevent it all from being yanked out by chubby little baby hands.

Not only will you find one of these in my hair, but you'll usually find one around my wrist, as well.  You know...just in case.  That's fashionable, right??  RIGHT??

4. Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by Motherhood Maternity.  You wanted to know that, yeah?  Tough.  This is honesty, as shocking as it may be.
I have done a whole lot of breastfeeding in my life, and I've tried a whole lot of bras.  I always come back to this one.  They're great for pregnancy, wonderful for breastfeeding, and look smooth under t-shirts and sweaters.  There's no underwire to pinch and press on you and possibly lead to mastitis (been there, don't want to do it again).  And plain white is the way I roll.
I was going to post a picture from their site (not of me...I'm not crazy or masochistic), but the lady was so...uhm...perky...that I doubted she's ever had a baby and that irked me just a little.  I should have posted her picture and pretended it was me, but I'm not ample enough to get away with it.

5. Earrings.  14k White Gold.  During my pregnancy with Sawyer, my ears decided to become really sensitive, oddly enough.  I've worn all kinds of earrings, mostly cheap, my entire life.  I could change the pair to coordinate with my ensemble.  All that has changed now.  First of all, what even coordinates with the aforementioned yoga pants?  And secondly, my ears now become red and sore and inflamed when I wear anything other than 14k gold.  I purchased these simple white gold ball earrings and now I just never take them out.  I need to amass my collection, but these are just fine for now.  Boring, but fine.


6. Button-up Sweaters.  Yes, sometimes I leave the house and have to wear real clothes.  One of my staples is button-up sweaters.  I mean, you have so many options with them.  Buttoned or open?  T-shirt or long sleeves underneath?  Big buttons or little (usually big)?
The truth is, I am usually just wearing a t-shirt with my jeans and grab a sweater as an afterthought on the way out the door.  This applies for all types of weather, as I'm cold-natured and chilly in the winter and in the air-conditioning situations in summer.  I barely even have to look at what I'm throwing on my body as I head to the mini-van.
I am so glamorous.
Need even more proof?  My favorite ones are from American Eagle and St. John's Bay at JCPenney.  That's high fashion.


7. Jeans.  Duh.  Jeans.  I have my skinny jeans that I wrote about here.  And I have several pairs of Mossimo jeans from Target.  It's like perpetual casual Friday around here.

8. My baby.  Whether I'm at home or pushing a cart around the grocery store, chances are that Sawyer will be on my hip or strapped in a carrier on my body.  Babywearing is not only convenient, but it lets him stay close and comfy and has numerous other benefits (I should really write about that sometime).

Plus, he's pretty much the best fashion accessory in the world.

9. Spit-up, breastmilk, mashed-up food.  I wear it with pride.
I've been used to having spit-up and breastmilk on me all the time, but the food thing is new with him.  He loves to squish sweet potatoes or avocado between his fingers, then rub it on his hair and give me a pat on the back.  And whatever was on him ends up on me, just like whatever is IN him ends up on me a few times a day.

(Yes, he's wearing a pink bib.)
Oh, babies.
So sweet.  So gross, but so sweet.
When (not if, but when) you see me wearing these things, just pretend it's part of my designer look.

10.  My rings.  Engagement, wedding, gift from husband.  When I look at the rings on my hands, I am reminded that I am married to a man who loves me.  Because of our love, we have three children whose antics are the reason for most of my "fashion" choices.


No, I'm not well-dressed.  My hair is a mess, I don't have time or desire to think about the clothes I choose, and there's usually something unidentifiable on my outfit.
And that's totally fine by me because of that one other thing I wear almost all the time...
11. Look of contentment and love.

4 comments:

  1. I'm also a SAHM, and I can relate to all of it. My wardrobe is much the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this list. this is IDENTICAL to my summer wardrobe. I am fairly certain I turn into a bum 12 seconds after school lets out for the summer.

    a very happy, comfy bum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also a Sluiter follower and found your linked blog. I'm now a follower of yours as well (crunchy mommy blogs make me smile).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I am right there with you!

    ReplyDelete